Monday, July 16, 2007

Of snow and soreness

Ahh, what fun yesterday was.

Husband and I arose at 4:45am, filled our thermos', and jumped in the car. We stopped in Jindabyne to grab our skis and were on the slopes by the time the lifts opened.

The weather was perfect. Blue skis, minimal wind, dry, deep snow. It was minus 5, but hey, that's what scarves are for...

We explored all over blue cow and perisher, finding fun little places, and fast slopes. All was going well until mid afternoon when (somehow) Lachlan's skis ended up on the front of mine. Somehow, in the confusion (in the middle of a blue run that was thankfully deserted) my inner edges dug in and my skis (with legs attached) went different directions. Suddenly I was doing what I had always wanted to do, but never been flexible enough: the sideways splits!

I lay there moaning (Lachlan wondered if I had broken my leg). Of course this happned right next to the t-bar and a friendly yell of "are you all right" was (thankfully) answered with 'yes'.

No bones broken, only two nearly dislocated hips, and a little bit of hurt pride.

The best stack of the day, however, has to go to Lachlan - not everyone can somersault quite so stylishly. And the wonderful sub-zero temp. left ice crystals nicely decorating his beanie for the rest of the day!

3 comments:

Della said...

That's where you just hope no-one's lurking with a video camera, hoping for a finals place on Funniest Home Videos... Glad to hear you both survived intact, though! :)

Clansi said...

I so WISH it had been caught on video... I've always wanted to do the sideways splits!

Actually the one I wanted caught on video was Lachlan's somersault - he got up and said "I had the distinct impression that at one point only my head was touching the ground"

Della said...

Ahh, and documentary evidence of the splits would have been handy.

Shame there wasn't something for Lachlan's somersault! Sounds sort of like a snowy version Cirque du Soleil.