Thursday, June 10, 2010

An Adventure!


Winter is here, and its cold in Canberra. Very cold. Most of the Autumn colour is gone from the trees (except the English oaks in the next street, which are refusing to acknowledge the nightly sub-zero temperatures).

I am excited that its winter, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, because the Ski Season starts this weekend (and there is actually enough snow at the resorts for them to open). Soon, husband man and I will be doing the regular commute to the ski fields every Sunday that we can.

Secondly, I'm excited because I'm on winter break from Uni. Semester two does not start till August, and assuming that I passed my final essay and exam, I'm a quarter of my way through my masters!

And finally, I'm excited that its winter because I am escaping to the northern hemisphere!

That's right, at the end of this month I will be exchanging cold Canberra for the Lake District and Scotland!
Now, it may not be much warmer and there is likely to be plenty of rain (1 in every 3 days is a rainy one) but its going to be such a great adventure. Husband man and I will be taking our Greenspeed recumbent trikes and cycling 500 kms, from Whitehaven on the West Coast, through the northern end of the Lakes, across the "Rooftop of England" to Tynemouth on the East Coast. We'll be dipping our wheels in the Irish Sea at the start and the North Sea at the end.

At Tynemouth we turn North, and ride up to Edinburgh, where we stay for a couple of days.
We'll be following the Coast and Castles route through the old border region between Scotland and England.

After the cycle tour, Husband man has a conference at Warwick university. On the way from Edinburgh to Warwick we are going to stay at Windemere, which is a place of significance for anyone who has read Authur Ransome's Swallows and Amazon books.

So a super adventure coming up, a mixture of castles, beautiful scenery and a wild variety of accented English. Will try and keep this blog updated!

No comments: