Monday, August 06, 2007

Thieves and the AFP

I went to the gym this afternoon.

When I got there, I secured my new, present-from-Lachlan, shiny black bicycle to a 10 foot yellow post with my bike chain and then went into the gym.

45 minutes later I came back out on the street to discover that my bike was gone. They had even taken the bike chain.

The shop opposite the 10 foot post was a glass fronted cafe with three staff and no customers. Hopefully I strode inside. I explained the mysterious disappearance and asked if they had seen anything. They hadn't seen a single thing, and suggested that I file a police report.

So away to the police station I walked, helmet under my arm.

The middle-aged lady at the counter of the Federal Police Station was very nice, took all my details and promised that they would start working on it tonight.

I'm not very hopeful, or happy. Someone in Canberra is probably having a good night thought, they've just scored themselves a $700 bike...

5 comments:

kris said...

have you heard anything about your bike??

Clansi said...

not a word - i'm pretty sad... ONe of my friends has loaned me theirs - but I liked mine better!!!

I'm too paranoid to ride the borrowed one and park it in the city - so I havn't really been back to the gym.....

Della said...

*sigh* The terrorists have won when innocent people have their bikes nicked...

Guess you've still not heard anything back from the police about it? Poor birthday bike.

Clansi said...

No unfortunately, never heard a peep.

I'm not really game to shell out $700 for a new one either....but I did love it so much...

The ONLY positive of this whole annoying thing is that this years model of my bike is the same colour as my helmet.... although seeing I'd never be game to lock it up anywhere...

What I need is an old single gear bike with a basket and streamers, maybe less people would be inclined to steal that


or maybe more.... streamers

Doubter said...

Every year thousands of new foreigners come to Beijing -- probably the most bicycle friendly more-than-20-million-people city on the planet.

They bring their brand new bikes.

Their bikes get stolen.

They buy an old-and-busted bike, and ride that around forever.

Is there a moral to that story?

I don't know...